Tuesday, December 20, 2016

10 Years Ago This Month


10 years ago this month I painted one of my first ever 'concepts' (as well as one of my first paintings ever) for the main character of my "Small Dogs" children's book. I had barely taken my first drawing and painting classes thanks to a public night program, so I knew enough to get started but I had no awareness of character design let alone the principles of design in general. Thankfully that ignorance never discouraged me from working on my story even if my skills hadn't yet caught up to my vision. Now a decade later I'm honored and humbled that the book exists in physical form after so much work and with the help of all my Kickstarter backers. But if this old painting has taught me anything it's that your abilities don't have to be perfect to get started, they just have to get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know what you think :)